Monday, November 29, 2021

A Good Thing About Facebook, For a Change

     Maybe you're the genealogist or the keeper of family history in your family or maybe you're just like everybody else with a box or albums of old photos. Maybe some of them are washed out, creased, or blighted in some way. Don't despair, there are thousands of talented digital artists out there who know their way around digital editing software, and they will edit your photos for you.

    I was very excited to find these pages because I have little talent in the digital area, and I have been very pleased with the efforts made so far on a few older pictures of my family.  Here's how the groups work:  first, you join and read their rules for posting, then you scan and upload the picture you want edited, perhaps with what you're looking for, and some great volunteer will then post his or her effort in the comments. I've seen some amazing things done. People are able to remove people or objects, put pictures together, change backgrounds, colorize, and sharpen features - just about anything you want. All pictures won't necessarily be picked to work on, and it's possible the work might not be what you expect, but, hey, it's free, right? (Free is the operative word. I have read that some people offer their services or upgraded services, even in these groups, for a fee. That is generally frowned on within the groups.) And you're not hurting the original photo.

Here are some of my family photo examples.

My great grandparents and their 11 children in 1946

My great aunt, great uncle, and uncle around 1939-1940

A couple of great uncles in the early 1940s

My mother and two of her cousins, late 1930s

And these are some of the results.






    So you might be able to search for "photo restoration" on Facebook and find more, but these are the three that I've joined so far:

Random Acts of Photo Restoration https://www.facebook.com/groups/916705811676270

Photo Restoration A Free Service https://www.facebook.com/groups/190352302216996


    So, dig out those old photos, scan them and see what miracles can be worked.


No comments:

Post a Comment