Friday, October 2, 2020

And We're Back! Have We Missed Anything?


 


Hi!

Remember us? 


The Histocrats. Four history lovers and friends who decided to create a social media platform from which to share our insatiable love of history.  


A few years ago we started blogging and posting on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We met lots of great people, did lots of fun things,  and soon had thousands of followers. We got much more attention than we ever expected.



And then….. Life happened.  A couple of us moved away, took jobs in other districts. Other things came up. Maybe there was a slight case of burnout.


Well, we’re back!!!  Or, at least I’m back. Kind of. As of June 1st, I became the first Histocrat to retire from teaching, and, in April, my wife and I moved from metro Atlanta to metro Tampa Florida.  Honestly, I do miss teaching in some ways, but I am thankful that I put in my 30+ years and was able to retire before the chaos of COVID totally disrupted education as we knew it.  My heart aches for the students and colleagues that I left behind, and I wish them all the best.


I am very fortunate in that I do not have to work, and I am fairly young. Of course, quarantining kept us at home for months, but we are now beginning to explore our new home, especially the beaches and historic sites. I plan to continue doing that and also to get involved as a volunteer with one or two local historic groups.



I’m also dabbling in some family genealogy and researching various topics of personal interest. Another of my goals is to revive Histocrats. I’ll continue sharing on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, maybe not as regularly, and I will hopefully write some blog. Honestly, I struggle with Twitter and Instagram a little.  I’m not as quick about tagging and hashtagging as some people, and I don’t spend much time on those platforms.  Right now, I’m thinking my focus will be on books, authors, museums, and historic sites, but who knows?  My goal is to use Histocrats to share my love of history. Many thanks and much love to Nina, Margaret, and Lisa, the Histocrats Emeritus, who were there as we built the Histocrats out of thin air and who are welcome to contribute in the future.  


And I hope that you continue the Histocrat journey with me.


Jeff Burns


No comments:

Post a Comment